Being in a relationship with a narcissist is challenging and emotionally exhausting. Narcissists have an unreasonably high sense of their own importance. They constantly need and seek attention and admiration. They often display an inability to grasp or care about the feelings of others. However, behind a mask of extreme confidence, their self-worth is weak, and the slightest criticism or correction upsets them.
If this is your reality, you might feel alone, insignificant, unloved, and even as though you are constantly maneuvering every situation to diffuse some level of tension. Know your heavenly Father is your refuge, your tower of strength and your firm foundation. If you’ve been wondering how to pray for a narcissist, we offer these prayers as a starting point. Let us pray!
Prayers for Narcissists
For You have been a refuge for me, A tower of strength against the enemy. Let me dwell in Your tent forever; Let me take refuge in the shelter of Your wings. (Psalms 61:3-4)
1. Lord, I do not want to falsely label my loved one/spouse as a narcissist. Help me to see them clearly, as You do, with grace and love. But I desperately need Your help and I know that he/she does too. Only in Your presence is true peace to be found and I trust in Your promises.
The Lord gives strength to his people, and the Lord blesses his people with peace. (Psalm 29:11)
- Lord, I pray that ___________’s eyes will be opened. Shine Your light on the areas of darkness so that he/she may become aware of the sin and his/her deep need for saving.
Open their eyes so that they may turn from darkness to light and from the dominion of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who have been sanctified by faith in Me. (Acts 26:18)
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. (1 John 1:9)
- Jesus, You taught us about humility. But pride says, “You don’t need a Savior.” I pray that ________________ will come to realize and admit their pride before it leads to utter destruction.
Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall. (Proverbs 16:18)
Let no one deceive himself. If anyone among you thinks that he is wise in this age, let him become a fool that he may become wise. (1 Corinthians 3:18)
- Kindle in him/her an unexpected compassion, an open heart that really sees the needs of others.
Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. (Colossians 3:12)
- I ask that ___________ will find self-worth in You, Lord, and not constantly seek the approval and admiration of others. I know that if we find our identity in Your love and acceptance, we are free and at peace. Let him/her grasp that you have chosen him/her.
You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit—fruit that will last—and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you. (John 15:16)
- God, I acknowledge that we were created with a ‘God-shaped hole’ that only you can satisfy. I pray that ___________ might experience Your unconditional love and grace, despite his/her sins.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. (Romans 5:8)
- Lord, although we do not need to be defined by our genes or our past circumstances (because You have overcome the world), we know that we easily get snared into certain behavior patterns as a result of trauma, rejection, or neglect, if we haven’t brought it all to Your feet. Please erase the debilitating effects of any negative childhood or other circumstances from his/her life. Set him/her free to be renewed in Your image.
Therefore, if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. (2 Corinthians 5:17)
Lastly, for you, living with a narcissist: Reach out to fellow believers, ask for support, and pray together.
Also, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about something and pray for it, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven. This is true because if two or three people come together in my name, I am there with them. (Matthew 18:19-20)